After a short break, we walk further uphill along a gravel road. After the "Chli Morgarten" stable, we keep left towards the forest. Soon we are welcomed by the coolness and silence of the forest. The way the path winds through the tall trees is wonderful. We step out of the forest, briefly cross a meadow and then the view almost takes our breath away. With good visibility, you can see from the Säntis over the Glarus and Schwyz Alps to the Bernese Alps. Simply marvellous.
The descent leads across meadows to an asphalt road. It's worth taking your poles here, as the path is a little steeper in places. We leave the asphalt road again after a few metres and turn left to walk along the hiking trail to Biberegg.
In Biberegg you have the choice of walking on the asphalt road, by train or along a beautiful hiking trail back to the village. We decide to take the hiking trail. First we cross the busy main road over an overpass. The road leads slightly uphill for about 500m. Shortly after the valley station of the Neusell ski lift, we turn left onto a gravel path and follow the hiking trail signs. The path is very varied and beautiful to walk on. On the way, the view falls to Rothenthurm with its large, eye-catching church. Soon we are back in Rothenthurm and a beautiful, varied and impressive hike comes to an end.
Getting thereArrival from the direction of Lucerne:
Take the A4/E41 motorway to exit 39 and leave in the direction of Schwyz, Pfäffikon, Sattel. Continue through Schwyz in the direction of Sattel and follow the main road to Rothenthurm. In Rothenthurm turn left into Bahnhofstrasse and continue until you reach the railway station.
Arriving from the direction of Ticino:
Take the A2/E35 motorway to exit 36 and leave in the direction of Altdorf, Schwyz, Zurich. Continue in the direction of Schwyz, Sattel and follow the main road to Rothenthurm. In Rothenthurm turn left into Bahnhofstrasse and continue until you reach the railway station.
Arriving from the direction Zurich:
Take the A3 motorway to exit 37 and leave in the direction of Richterswil, Einsiedeln. Follow the main road in the direction of Schindellegi, Schwyzerbrugg until you reach Rothenthurm. In rothenthurm turn right into Bahnhofstrasse and continue until you reach the railway station.
ParkingParking spaces at the community centre, at the MPS and at the railway station.
EquipmentClothing suitable for the weather and walking sticks.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.