Rigi First – Unterstetten – Hinder Dossen – Rigi Scheidegg
This hiking trail starts at the Rigi Woelfertschen-First station and follows the route of the former Rigi-Kaltbad-Scheidegg railway. Many contemporary witnesses recall this historical railway.
This mountain trail along the former Rigi-Kaltbad-Scheidegg railway is very popular and beautiful. Hike leisurely over the mighty railway bridge Unterstetten and experience a piece of railway history. You will pass by an old couch, which today in use as a holiday residence, a short tunnel and a water filling station for the steam locomotives. The magnificent panorama of Lake Lucerne and the surrounding mountains are your constant companions.
Rich green hills, wild meadows and interesting rock formations line the path. The magnificent panorama with its dazzling lakes and sublime Alps in the background looks like out of a painting. On the way you will find lovely resting places and fireplaces to linger. If you prefer a cosy break, visit one of the alpine restaurants are also a good choice. The route to your destination Rigi-Scheidegg remains diversified, exciting and picturesque.
For your information
You can find the current operating status of the railways and hiking trails here here.
In order to let our next generation also be inspired from the Queen of the Mountains, may we ask you to dispose of your own waste at Rigi Stations. Thank you.
Rest StopGasthaus Rigi-Bärenstube
Alpwirtschaft Obere First
Berggasthaus Rigi Scheidegg
Rigi Burggeist playground
Tips and hints
Requirements for wheelchair users: difficult
During the last 300 metres there is a gradient of approx. 14%. An accompanying person is recommended.
Getting thereA4 highway - exit Goldau
At Rigi mountain railway stations (Goldau and Kraebel) there are parking spaces available for a fee.
However, we recommend you to arrive by public transportations instead of cars: just lean back, enjoy and do something good for the environment.
Wheelchair-accessible parking spaces are available in Goldau and in Kraebel.
EquipmentHigh profiled hiking boots or trakking boots, rain coat, drinks, food and walking sticks, when possible.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.