Starting in Innerthal, the easy hiking trail leads around the idyllic Wägitalersee. This barrier lake was built in the varied mountains during the 1920s, e.g. the Bockmattli is well known for climbing. Furthermore there are about 200 rather unknown caves in the valley as well as 22 cultivated alps during the summer season. In addition to fishing, jogging, skating, biking, hiking, climbing and swimming, boats can be rented as well as carriage rides around the lake.
Distance 12.6 km
The tour around the Wägitalersee definitely is a pleasure! The hike starts at the village of Innerthal. At the bus stop, keep to the left in direction to Halten. The round trip stays on the reservoir road with low traffic. Unfortunately, it is paved all around. However, this does not detract from its amenity. You will be rewarded by a unique natural panorama. At Halten you will first notice a house with a large dwarf landscape in its garden. But you better focus on the lake and the surrounding mountains. On the first few meters in direction to Sänegg, Blattli and Bruch you will soon see Fluebrig or Diethlem with “Turner”, Gantspitz and Wännifirst. From time to time, it's worth taking a look back to the north, where the Gross Aubrig is beckoning. Shortly after Ziggen the track leads into the forest. An almost inconspicuous signpost on the road points to a small but pretty spot: the Hundlochquelle. One should not omit to descend the few meters at lake level and visit the spring, which resembles a grotto. You can even descend completely and enter the beautiful, but wet and dripping grotto. The wonderfully clear water is inviting. Then it goes on to the end of the lake. At the restaurant Au you can plan a first stop for refreshments and even some snacks are available here. The view from the terrace towards Schiberg, Bockmattli and the lake is stunning. Then it goes on along the other side of the lake to the dam and from there back to Innerthal. On the way you still have a pretty good look at the seemingly invincible Zindlenspitz. But this is deceptive, you could hike up the mountain – to be followed on another trek.
Update: June 17, 2021
Getting thereBy car to Sieben, then direction Vorderthal to Innerthal.
ParkingParking lot at the center.
32T 493828 5216869
EquipmentHiking or trekking shoes, drinks, maybe rainwear.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view