On this little round trip you will get to know the oldest part of Muotathal: Wil, first mentioned in 1275. The path follows the streets and is not signposted. It lies on the sunny side of the valley.
Distance 1.3 km
Highest point636 m
Lowest point610 m
The 30-minute walk is interesting from a historical point of view, but it also provides moments of contemplation as it passes the chapel, parish church and monastery. The convent of St. Joseph in Muotathal was originally founded in 1288. The high water of the torrent, however, caused problems for the Franciscan nuns and in 1687 they were able to move to the newly built monastery of St. Joseph. The old monastery is the only church from the Romanesque period in the old Schwyz region to have survived and today serves as a chapel inviting silent prayer. Between the old and the new monastery, the path leads past the Russian cross, which is reminiscent of a difficult time. In 1799 the Russian general Suworow and his soldiers invaded Muotathal. In 1902 the Muotathalers erected a commemorative cross in the Hürital, where the first Russian officer fell. This cross has been at the monastery since 2012.
- Monastery St. Josef
- Old village Wil with church and parsonage
Stoos-Muotatal Tourismus GmbH / Region Luzern-Vierwaldstättersee