Rigi Kaltbad - First - Rigi Kloesterli
Off your way on this easy hike, where you can spot a magnificent view of Lake Lucerne and the mighty Alpine peaks.
Along this route of the former Rigi-Scheidegg Railway, this leisure but panoramic path with continued a completely another route leads to Rigi First. The snow-capped Alpine peaks greet you from the southern shore of the lake. From Rigi First a descent follows to the cosy Heiri-Hütte alpine restaurant, which invites you to a hearty Älpler snack. Then the walk continues downhill in elegant meanders to the historic pilgrimage site of Klösterli, where many Capuchin monks once lived. The pretty pilgrimage chapel "Maria zum Schnee" (built in 1689) is considered as one of the most beautiful mountain chapels in the world. With the cogwheel train you will reach Goldau - the traffic junction of the region.
For your information
You can find the current operating status of the railways and hiking trails here .
In order to let our next generation also inspired from the Queen of the Mountains, may we ask you to dispose of the waste at Rigi Stations. Thank you.
A4 highway - exit Küssnacht - direction Weggis - Vitznau
A4 highway - exit Brunnen - direction Vitznau - Weggis
At Rigi valley stations you will find parking spaces at a fee.
However, we recommend you to arrive by public transportations instead of cars: just lean back, enjoy and do something good for the environment.
EquipmentHigh profiled hiking boots or trakking boots, rain jacket, drink, food and walking sticks when possible.
Basic Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons at minimum and a basic ice axe are recommended when covering steeper terrain
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.