Rigi Staffel - Rotstock - Rigi First
This new trail leads from Rigi Staffel via Rotstock to Rigi First with great panoramic views.
From the Rigi Staffel station, the winter hiking trail leads uphill until you reach the summit of the Rotstock. From this magnificent vista point you can enjoy breathtaking views of the Alps and the Kreuztrichter of Lake Lucerne. The trail continues steadily downhill to Rigi First, from where numerous hikes continue. The Rigi Bahn station First-Wölfertschen can also be reached in a few minutes, from where you can comfortably return to Arth-Goldau. A few minutes walk from Rigi First is Rigi Kaltbad. From Rigi Kaltbad you can reach Vitznau by the Rigi Railway or Weggis by cable car.
For your information
You can find the current operating status of the railways and hiking trails here .
In order to let our next generation also be inspired from the Queen of the Mountains, may we ask you to dispose of your own waste at Rigi Stations. Thank you.
A4 highway - exit Küssnacht am Rigi - direction Weggis - Vitznau
A4 highway - exit Goldau - direction A4 Parkplatz (Parkplatz A4) of Rigi Mountain Railways
Parking spaces are avaliable at Rigi valley stations in Vitznau and Goldau A4. Fees apply.
However, we recommend you to arrive by public transportations instead of cars: just lean back, enjoy and do something good for the environment.
EquipmentHigh profiled winter equipment: hiking boots, rain coat, drinks, food and walking stocks when possible.
Basic Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons at minimum and a basic ice axe are recommended when covering steeper terrain
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.